Saturday, February 21, 2015

Thrift Store Finds and Succulents

Oh, do I love Thrift Stores.  I will search and search until I find something unusual to plant succulents in.  This pair of ducks has a signature on the bottom, but I can't really read it, and I'm not knowledgable about these things.  I think it is Huff.  Does anyone know anything about this?
I love this little piece.  It's obviously someone's first venture into pottery, and they finally threw it out.  I like the imperfection and whimsical style to this.

And speaking of succulents!!!
This was in the entrance to the Pacific Northwest Flower and Garden Show that I went to last week.  It was about 8 feet tall, and made entirely of succulents.  Wow.  I have trouble getting a simple 10" diameter wreath to grow.

And, talking about Thrift Stores!
We have a new one in our neighborhood that benefits the community.  I was in there the other day and learned about a project, the Tukwila Snack Pack Program.  Apparently 21% of the children who go to one of the elementary schools here are classified as homeless.  They get food at school, but on the weekends, many of them have nothing to eat.  This really hit me in my heart.  I have been looking for a way to Volunteer, and this was it.  On Thursdays, backpacks are loaded with healthy food, and on Friday they are distributed to the kids.  I worked at Thrift It, the shop I was telling you about, taking in donations last Friday.
During the course of the day, I met three wonderful women who all attend the local Presbyterian Church.  (I met more than those three, but for this story, it's three)  I have also been looking for a church.  It's very had to visit a church when you don't know anyone.  Well, Sunday morning, off I went, and I loved it.  I was welcomed warmly, enjoyed the service, the people, and the potluck afterwards.  It is very much like my church in Nooksack.  I'm hoping that this will be my new church home.  I need to attend a few more times to know for sure.


2 comments:

Cathy said...

What a great volunteer program! And you are already reaping the rewards (new friends and church). Would that planter possibly be a Hull? They made lots of pottery and cookie jars in the forties thru the sixties, I believe. I have a Hull cookie jar of Little Red Riding Hood.

Gene Black said...

I love the picture of you! Clearly this is allowing your heart and spirit to be full again.