Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Maiden Voyage of the Minnow or Adventures on the High Seas

 Yesterday, we took our little boat out for the first time.  We bought it last year at a garage sale, but it's taken DH all this time to get the motor running, get a trailer, license it and put the tabs on.  You can see, it is only 9 feet long, so I started calling it the Minnow.
 We launched it by Boeing Field at the south end of Lake Washington.  With the motor running full out, we might go 8mph.  First we trolled for cutthroat.  I was enjoying myself so much.  It was a warm day, though a bit overcast.  The scenery was spectacular.
 The company was the best.
 When we got to our destination, we changed to fishing for perch.  Terry calls this my Barbie Doll rod.  I caught the first fish.
And the second. 
He caught one.
And I caught two more.
 This is the VMAC, or The Seahawks Training Facility.  We had heard this was a good spot for perch.
 My first catch.  All the fish were thrown back.  We didn't get any of size.  And, the wind kept blowing us off our hole.  We decided to head back and troll for cutthroat on the way.  Well, the lake had gotten quite choppy and we started taking on water.  I had to skooch back almost into Terry's lap to keep the water from coming over the bow.  Pretty soon, Terry informed me the water was up to his ankles.  I was too busy hanging on to notice.
 At this point, we ran out of gas.  Sigh.  Fortunately, Terry had brought along the electric trolling motor, which he hooked up.  We made it to the launch site going about 3mph.
I was soaked from head to feet.
It was a delightful day.  I had so much fun.  But, we had to face reality and admit that the Minnow is not enough boat for us.  We need something bigger.  (One with room for a porta potty would be good)
A bigger gas can would help, but there is not much room for one.
Oh, well.  At least now I know I love the adventure of fishing.  I don't care if I catch anything.  It was just too much fun.

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

Hmmm.. the Barbie reel matches your nail polish. And "Barbie" caught more fish than "Ken"

Jean(ie) said...

Love the pink rod! A bucket and a rain poncho works great for a head. Loved the fishie. Good catch! Big or small, I'm always excited when I catch something.