Monday, May 26, 2014

Got the Point?

 I haven't been writing here much in the past few weeks because I feel really awful, going through withdrawal from an anti-depressant that I took for years.  April and May are pretty much shot for me, with fatique, brain fog, disequilibrium and nausea.  Add to that edema.  Really, it has been hell.  I'm surprised that my spirits have stayed as good as they have, but I do know there is life at the end of this ordeal.  Sad part is, I figured out I need to come off another one.  The two together have had terrible impacts on my health, and I'm looking forward to a clean slate.
In the meantime I have been seeing an acupuncturist, which has been a wonderful experience.  Those needles do miraculous things, and I don't know where I'd be without the help of my practitioner.

As you can see from the pictures above, I have not been idle.  I am really tough on my toys, and blew out my Singer sewing machine, again.  See, in the past, I could not afford a nice fancy sewing machine, so I would buy a Singer or Brother from Joann at half price sales.  Then, sew the daylights out of it.  They usually lasted 3 years for me.
Terry had this Singer from 1958 in his man cave.  It needed a new cord is all.  I oiled it and threaded it up, and OMG.  I've forgotten what it was like to sew on a quality machine!!!!  Now I am going like crazy.  I'm working on the quilt, shown above, for my niece Erin, who gets married on July 26th.  Last summer while we were all on vacation, I took Erin to the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, Or., and had her pick out a pattern and fabric.  Well, once I got home and took a good look at the pattern (I had to buy the book!), I realized there was no way I had the patience to make it.  So, I decided to do a simple disappearing nine patch.  It's easy, and looks like you have spent intense time and effort on it.  I know she will love it.   I've also started on a pillow top and a wall hanging for US.  I'm really excited and can spend hours working up new projects.
That and the yard have kept me busy and prevented me from obsessing about how awful I feel.  But, I feel great today, and I see a new horizon.









1 comment:

Gene Black said...

I think the top picture (yarn) is my favorite. I am thinking now that I want to learn to spin. Do you have a spinning wheel?
I am thinking of making a drop spindle to test my desire to spin. Is that a good idea?

Those old sewing machines are amazing if they are well maintained. I have a 70's Kenmore that still sews well.